Sometimes the sperm cannot penetrate the outer layer, for a variety of reasons. The egg’s outer layer may be thick or hard to penetrate or the sperm may be unable to swim. In these cases, a procedure called intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) can be done along with in vitro fertilization (IVF) to help fertilize the egg. During ICSI, a single sperm is injected directly into the cytoplasm of the egg.
One cycle of ICSI takes about 4-5 weeks to complete and it generally boosts the success rate of conception for couples in the case of male infertility issues. The outcome of ICSI is overwhelming since the doctor injects a single sperm directly into an egg which guarantees fertilization of egg and sperm and thereby increases the chances of successful conception.
When is ICSI recommended?
ICSI helps to overcome fertility problems, such as:
• The male partner produces too few sperm to do artificial insemination (intrauterine insemination [IUI]) or IVF.
• The sperm may not move in a normal fashion.
• The sperm may have trouble attaching to the egg.
• A blockage in the male reproductive tract may keep sperm from getting out.
• Eggs have not fertilized by traditional IVF, regardless of the condition of the sperm.
• In vitro matured eggs are being used.
• Previously frozen eggs are being used.
What is the procedure of ICSI?
Here is a detailed description of the ICSI procedure step by step to give you a better idea of what exactly happens-
There are basically five simple steps to ICSI which include the following:
• The mature egg is held with a specialized pipette.
• A very delicate, sharp, and hollow needle is used to immobilize and pick up a single sperm.
• The needle is then carefully inserted through the shell of the egg and into the cytoplasm of the egg.
• Sperm is injected into the cytoplasm, and the needle is carefully removed.
• Eggs are checked the following day for evidence of normal fertilization.
Once the steps of ICSI are complete and fertilization is successful, the embryo transfer procedure is used to physically place the embryo in the woman’s uterus. Then it is a matter of watching for early pregnancy symptoms. The fertility specialist may use a blood test or ultrasound to determine if implantation and pregnancy have occurred.
The success rate of ICSI treatment in India has increased from last 5 years. One cycle of ICSI takes about 4-5 weeks to complete and often boost the success rate of conception for couples facing male infertility issues. The outcome of ICSI is overwhelming since the doctor injects a single sperm directly into an egg which guarantees fertilization of egg and sperm and thereby increases the chances of successful conception.
One cycle of ICSI takes between four weeks and six weeks to complete. You and your partner can expect to spend a half-day at the clinic for the egg and sperm retrieval procedures. You will usually be asked to go back between two days and five days later for the embryo transfer procedure.
Cost for ICSI in India:
India is a forerunner in the world of medical tourism. ICSI treatment in India is extremely affordable compared to what people would pay in their own country. India also has the highest number of experienced ICSI specialists on par with the other countries. English speaking staff is useful since the patients can converse. In other countries like Thailand and Mexico, language is a big barrier. ICSI treatment in India will cost approximately ranging from USD 3000-6000 and USD 500-1000 for Infertility Evaluation by our specialists.
Request a Call Back
What to Expect Along the Path to Conceiving With IVF
Starting the IVF pregnancy treatment process can be an exciting and nerve-wracking experience. Usually, IVF is pursued only after other fertility treatments have failed. You may have been trying to conceive for months or, more likely, for years and years. But this is not […]